We all remember the Bollywood selfie with PM Narendra Modi which went viral a few months ago, right? If not, Vivek Oberoi will remind you of the same. The Saathiya actor, who is all set to bounce back on the big screen with his upcoming film PM Narendra Modi, the biopic on the Indian Prime Minister, has slammed the Hindi film industry for posting selfies with PM Modi. He has also accused Bollywood of ‘double standards’ for not helping him out in the whole matter of controversies surrounding the release of his film.
The reason for the dispute surrounding his film is the Lok Sabha Elections 2019, which are all set to commence on April 11. Several opposition parties invoked the model code of conduct and approached the Election Commission seeking a delay in release of PM Narendra Modi, the Omung Kumar-directed biopic on the Indian Prime Minister.
PM Narendra Modi biopic has now been cleared by the Central Board of Film Certification (CBFC) for release with a U certificate.
Vivek Oberoi, who had been absent from Bollywood for quite a long time, plays PM Narendra Modi in the biopic. Now, it seems like he is leaving no stone unturned in ensuring the smooth release of his upcoming project that is ‘close to his heart’.
The actor feels that he has not received any support from Bollywood on his upcoming biopic PM Narendra Modi at this crucial time.
A report in an entertainment website says that Vivek Oberoi has accused the film industry of ‘double standards’ for posting selfies with PM Modi and not helping him out with the release of a biopic on the same man.
He said that it is easy to post selfies with India’s Prime Minister, but the industry needs to stand together.
”It’s easy to post selfies with Prime Minister and stuff like that. As an industry, we need to stand together. Around 600 artistes right now are saying that BJP shouldn’t come back; let’s all get together. I respect that, they have all rights to do that,” Vivek told the website.
In January 2019, young Bollywood actors including filmmaker Karan Johar flew to Delhi to meet Prime Minister Narendra Modi and posed for an unforgettable ‘group-fie’ with him.
Pointing out controversial films in Bollywood, Vivek said, ”I feel, we are not a united industry. I feel when Padmaavat gets stuck and a legend like Sanjay Leela Bhansali is mistreated and misbehaved with, we should all unite together.”
”I feel if My Name Is Khan gets stuck, we should come together to make sure it doesn’t get stuck,” the PM Narendra Modi actor added.
”People like Anurag Kashyap, who was fighting for the release of Udta Punjab, during the Punjab elections, got it released later. And I am happy, that is the sign of democracy,” he said, remembering the 2016 film.
After winning the fight over the release of his upcoming biopic, Vivek slammed Bollywood and said, ”But, all these people who are otherwise so vocal on everything – nobody came out in support of our film. This is happening to our film and they trying to ban our film.”
”Not one word, not one tweet. That, to me, is not fair. That is not being honest to their own principle. That is a double standard,” he said.
The film PM Narendra Modi has now received a U certificate from the Censor Board and is hitting the screens on April 11, six days after its initial release date, April 5. The makers first announced that PM Narendra Modi was releasing on April 12. The film team then changed the release date to April 5. Now, the film is finally seeing the light of day on April 11.
#CensorNews: #PMNarendraModi certified U by Indian censors #CBFC on 9 April 2019. Approved run time: 130 min, 53 sec [2 hours, 10 minutes, 53 seconds]. #India
2,7707:15 PM – Apr 9, 2019Twitter Ads info and privacy
The biopic has an approved runtime of 130 minutes and 53 seconds (2 hours, 10 minutes and 53 seconds), after the Censor Board clearance. The film is now scheduled to hit the screens on April 11.